This privacy notice sets out how SLN collects, uses and stores personal data and has been written in accordance with international data privacy laws, including the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
How to contact us?
What data do we collect?
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in the membership form. You may provide us personal information when you sign up to be a Full member, Affiliate or Organization member. This will usually be your basic contact details, such as your name, email, organization, address, professional background info and conservation interests.
- Information you provide when posting comments on blog posts, registering for a course or event or requesting further services.
- We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- We track which parts of our website you visit and the resources you access.
- Estimate the size of our audience and how they use our site.
- Store information about your preferences.
- Recognize you when you return to our site.
Where do we store personal information?
We will keep your Membership Information for 10 years. Once this time period has expired, we will delete your data from our database.
How do you use the information?
We use information in the following ways:
- The data outlined above is collected so we can work most efficiently on building a global network of snow leopard conservations. The information enables us to make informed decisions, fundraise most effectively and give you an improved experience when you use our website and read our communications.
- We never have and never will sell your details to any third parties, particularly not for marketing purposes. We are committed to making it easy for you to change your communication preferences. We always respect your preferences and endeavor to send you information that suits you, in the format you prefer.
- To provide you with information or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes. Our Listserv emails include the latest publications, conservation news, blog articles, photos and videos. Apart from the Listserv news, we may also send you periodical requests for action or information about international events.
- On social media, we may repost or share your posts on social media if it relates to the Snow Leopard Network and our work, and respond to questions, queries or comments left on our social media channels and use information found on your profile to help us answer these. We will never ask for personal or sensitive information. Our websites use sharing buttons which share our web pages to social media platforms – use these buttons at your own discretion. Social media platforms may track these shares through your accounts.
- We may keep your information on file in order to comply with legal and regulatory obligations.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
Who can access my data?
- You have the right to access information held about you. You can request access to the information we hold on you. You can request this information by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- Otherwise your information is only accessible by SLN staff and Committee members, all of whom have either signed or been briefed on strict privacy policies. On a very limited basis, and under supervision of staff, volunteers may be permitted to work with personal data. All volunteers are required to sign confidentiality agreement, and monitored to assure they do not compromise security measures.
- When working with contractors—for example those who improve data efficiency—we ensure they have similarly strong confidentiality assurances, and encryption, before we work with them.
- We use other companies to help us manage and store personal data and to carry out certain activities on our behalf. Our main data processors are listed below, but we may enlist the services of others from time to time:
- We will only disclose your personal data to third parties, without your consent, when we are required to by law, for example to authorized statutory agencies or authorities.
How do you keep my information safe?
We have several robust technical solutions in place to keep your data safe.
Our entire website is served over SSL (Secure Sockets Layer, an encryption-based Internet security protocol). This ensures that any of the data you send to us through our website is encrypted.
Our databases use permissions based access and only authorized members of staff can access any of the data.
Please note that while we do our utmost to ensure that good security practices and technologies are in place to protect your data, the security of information sent over the internet cannot be guaranteed and may be illegally intercepted or changed after it has been sent.
What is your legal basis for processing personal data?
In order to comply with data protection regulations, the Snow Leopard Network must have a legal justification for collecting and using your information. Our legal basis for processing your personal information falls into one of the following categories in almost all cases:
- Where you have provided consent – e.g. agreed to the bylaws.
- When processing is necessary to comply with a legal obligation.
- When it falls under our legitimate interests to contact you – such as in order to raise funds or promote our objectives. If we do this, we will ensure that the processing is not likely to be too intrusive, or excessively infringe upon your rights.
Our legitimate interests include:
- Administration and management: including providing information and services, responding to solicited enquires, research, and the administration of members.
Please contact us if you would like to find out more about how we process your information, or if you would like to change how we contact you.
How can I access or change my personal data?
You can change your personal details and/or contact preferences at any time. Please log into your account on our website: https://snowleopardnetwork.org/profile/
You have a number of data protection rights which we would like to make you aware of:
- You can request any of your information by emailing us at email@example.com. We are happy to supply any information you ask for as soon as possible in writing, but this may take up to 30 days. We will also ask for proof of identity.
- You also have the right to ask us to stop using or to restrict the processing of your personal data in certain cases, e.g. where it is not needed to do what you provided it to us for, or if there is some disagreement about its accuracy or legitimate use.
- You can withdraw your consent for us processing your data at any time by terminating your membership.
- If you believe our records are inaccurate you have the right to ask for those records concerning you to be updated. To update your records, please get in touch with us using the details above.
- In some cases, you have the right to be forgotten (i.e. to have your personal data deleted from our database) or transferred to another organization (“data portability.”) Where you have requested that we not contact you, we need to keep some limited information in order to ensure that you are not contacted in the future.